By Stephanie Perruzza, MS, RD, CDN
Beach season is here, and for me, in addition to finding the perfect sun tanning spot, it’s important to plan ahead and pack healthy beach snacks. It’s easy to crave junk food when you’re at the beach with the typical high-calorie culprits offered at snack bars. In order to stay healthy and satisfied, bring your own homemade snacks and beverages.
Tips for Healthy Beach Snacking
- Keep it Cool. Certain foods are more susceptible to bacterial growth in moist, warmer temperatures. Bring an insulated cooler with plenty of ice packs.
- Simple Snacks. Avoid bringing snacks with ingredients that are messy and may melt or spoil like mayonnaise. The fewer utensils and plates the better! Finger foods are best.
- Proper Portions. It’s best to pack single-portion snacks for better calorie control. Choosing high fiber snacks to control hunger throughout the day.
- Focus on fluids. Many beverages contain calories too; be mindful and pack low-calorie, unsweetened drinks such as flavored seltzer, water or iced tea. It’s super important to stay hydrated in the summer heat!
Beach Snack Ideas
- Cut up fresh fruit with natural peanut or almond butter
- Homemade trail mix
- Cut up veggies with hummus
- FiberLove bar – great because it’s individually packed!
- Whole wheat crackers or homemade kale chips with a few low-fat cheese options
Stephanie Perruzza is a Registered Dietitian, nutrition consultant, blogger, and coordinator of outpatient nutrition for the Cancer and Wellness Center at Northern Westchester Hospital. Follow her on Twitter @StephPerruzzaRD, or visit stephanieperruzza.com for more nutrition tips and advice.