If you are headed to the beach this summer, more than likely you’ll be searching for tasty and satisfying snacks to pack in your beach bag. If so, you’ve come to the right place! Choosing snacks that pack a punch of dietary fiber is important. They ensure you are not only satisfied in the moment but are staying full hours later. Keep reading for tips on how to pack fiber-rich beach snacks this summer!
What is Dietary Fiber and Why is it Important?
Fiber is a nutrient found in food that helps to regulate our digestive system. Have you ever eaten a meal or a snack and suddenly felt hungry again an hour later? This may have been because it did not contain enough dietary fiber to sustain you until your next meal or snack. For example, soluble fiber slows down the digestive process, keeping you full for a longer period of time. Dietary fiber also has many other health benefits including managing blood sugar, cholesterol levels, and blood pressure. It also helps prevent chronic illness such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
How to Choose High Fiber Snacks
When choosing snacks that are a good source of dietary fiber there are a couple things to keep in mind to ensure you are making the most nutritious choices possible. First, if you are choosing a carbohydrate-rich snack such as chips or crackers, look for an option that has a whole grain listed as the very first ingredient. If you tend to pack snacks such as granola or protein bars, aim for options that are made up of wholesome, nutrient-dense ingredients. Fruits and vegetables are the perfect high-fiber, high-volume snack to bring along and can be paired with options that will bump up the fiber even higher such as hummus, guacamole, or nut and seed butters. Overall, aim for a snack with at least 3g of dietary fiber or higher in order to keep you properly fueled between meals.
Simple High-Fiber Snacks
- Swap out cheese puffs and buttery popcorn for multi-grain tortilla chips paired with a black bean or corn salsa.
- Craving something sweet? Freeze grapes for a deliciously hydrating treat.
- Aim for whole-grain crackers instead of high-sodium pretzels and pair with low-fat spreadable cheese.
- Build-your-own high-fiber trail mix with whole-grain cereal, dark chocolate chips, and your favorite nuts and seeds.
- Fresh cucumber and bell pepper slices paired with hummus of your choice.
- A banana paired with an individual squeeze pouch of peanut or almond butter. Have a peanut allergy? Pack some sunflower seed butter for an equally delicious alternative.
- Looking for a quick grab-and-go option for the car ride home? NuGo Fiber d’Lish bars are the perfect solution when the mid-afternoon hunger hits with 12g fiber in a bar that tastes likes dessert. With the ideal blend of both soluble and insoluble fiber, Fiber d’Lish bars will keep you full until dinner and keep your stomach feeling its best this summer.
In conclusion, choosing a fiber-rich beach snack will help keep you full and provide you with plenty of energy in the heat of the summer months. Remember to aim for 3g or higher of dietary fiber when planning out your snacks for the season. Whether you need to monitor your fiber intake for health-related concerns, or simply want to help control your appetite, choosing options higher in fiber is the way to go when you’re out and about this summer!
Joannah Konecny, RD is a New Jersey based Registered Dietitian and business owner of Jo’s Foods that Fit, LLC. Her mission is to guide individuals toward better nutrition by improving both their lifestyle habits and their mindset. Through this, she helps clients increase their confidence and love their bodies. Joannah has a passion for discovering new food products and developing healthy recipes with them! You can follow her journey on Instagram or on her website.